Results 1 to 10 of 37

Thread: would a 411 8A make a good speaker for a sub?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member
    would a 411 8A make a good speaker for a sub?


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    would a 411 8A make a good speaker for a sub?

    http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/vint...spec_sheet.pdf

    i was looking at these and the specs seem to sound like they would. a few of you guys use boxes with double 15s. i'm hoping i can use one of these or maybe two if need be with my A7s.
    Sonic Barbarian

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    would a 411 8A make a good speaker for a sub?


    alancohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2012
    Location
    Hunterdon Cty, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: would a 411 8A make a good speaker for a sub?

    I would think you'd want more power handling for a sub. 250W min. It's amazing how much power it takes to drive 25-30Hz.

    Here's an interesting link about a down and dirty home made sub(s). They're made with 8" drivers in a 5 gallon paint bucket and powered by a Crown XLS1000. I'm almost tempted to try a pair.

    Subwoofer Project - Transcendent Sound Message Board

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    would a 411 8A make a good speaker for a sub?


    Phil-G's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2013
    Location
    restaurant at the end of the universe
    Posts
    1,661
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    43 Post(s)

    Re: would a 411 8A make a good speaker for a sub?

    if i wanted to go that route i have a pair of 250/500w rockford fosgates i could use. but i'm sure a pair of tandem altec 100w 15s would be quite respectable. and i really don't plan on driving my set much more than 70-80w max.
    Last edited by Phil-G; July 28th, 2013 at 10:17 PM.
    Sonic Barbarian

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member RonSSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    1,222
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

    Re: would a 411 8A make a good speaker for a sub?

    I built a pair, they worked great.
    I made mine vented.

    Ron
    Enjoying Altec Speakers since 1972

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member
    would a 411 8A make a good speaker for a sub?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: would a 411 8A make a good speaker for a sub?

    The difference between a 100 watt sub and a 250 watt sub may not even be audible. I don't think at home levels power level will even be a consideration. Especially with two.

    The 3184 is a good sub. Also the 3154. If you want to use passive xovers, two 15's may be best. if you go active, won't matter.

    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...49784469,d.eWU

    Car stereo stuff tends to be one note wonders.
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    would a 411 8A make a good speaker for a sub?


    alancohen's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 26th, 2012
    Location
    Hunterdon Cty, NJ
    Posts
    684
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: would a 411 8A make a good speaker for a sub?

    The difference between 100W and 250W to me is having a little headroom to not blow a speaker. With 2 A5s in the room there is not much real estate left over for big subs. I'd love to have a pair of 20cuft horn subs, but that's not going to happen.

    I've used a few different subs and I find two is better than one and placement is everything. I can squeeze 2 small subs under the sofa end tables. Big vented subs can take over the room.

    I suppose it comes down to what you want them for. For HT, little sealed subs work fine if the goal is to feel the sound and shake the walls. If it's musicality and image you're going for, and you listen to lots of pipe organ music, then you need bigger, you need two and they should be stereo.

    At first blush with my A5s and new crossovers, I really don't think I'll need a sub for music. I haven't measure them yet, but based on a few reference songs I think I'm getting 35Hz maybe down 3-6dB. If that holds up, I can live with that quite nicely.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.